Participate in FTA's National Online Dialogue to Develop 5-Year Research Strategic Plan
On behalf of FTA's Office of Research, Demonstration and Innovation, SURTC is notifying you about an opportunity to provide input on FTA's research strategic plan. See the message from FTA below about their strategic plan, online dialogue, and upcoming informational webinar.
FTA's Associate Administrator for Research, Demonstration and Innovation, Vince Valdes, invites you to participate in FTA's National Online Dialogue to develop our 5-Year Research Strategic Plan
What new transit innovations should FTA research and deploy in the next five years? FTA is taking a fresh look at its research program priorities through the lens of a five-year strategic plan. The plan will guide how FTA positions itself to be forward-thinking in how we develop new tools and technologies to advance access and mobility for all.
We want to hear from you! FTA has launched an online dialogue to inform the agency's Research Strategic Plan. We welcome any and all ideas through the duration of the dialogue, which closes September 8.
The Research Strategic Plan will set the stage for what types of research FTA should support and highlight pathways for translating proven research solutions into new and better ways of doing business. For example, years of investment in the National Fuel Cell Bus Program led to several rounds of low or no-emission bus technology deployment and in 2016, the agency established an annual grants program with dedicated funding for new technology buses. As FTA drafts its 5-year research strategic plan, we invite you to participate and lend your ideas to inform FTA's research priorities.
Visit our online dialogue to post an idea; review, comment, and vote on others' input; and provide specific feedback to the questions posed below:
- What key social, demographic, economic, technological, and/or other trends impact public transportation today and into the future?
- FTA's current research priorities are mobility, asset management and asset innovation, and safety. Should we maintain these priorities or should they be changed? If they should be changed, please suggest the priority research areas you recommend.
- What specific areas within mobility, asset management and asset innovation, and safety should be the focus of FTA research?
- Similarly, what major goal should the FTA research program pursue to support transit's mission?
- What should FTA's major goals be for research to support FTA's mission? And what performance measure metrics should FTA use to track progress in meeting them?
- How should FTA drive research to practice to publicize useful research results?
- Is there anything else you want to share or say regarding FTA's research portfolio and activities?
For more information on how you can contribute to the Research Strategic Plan online dialogue, join us for an informational webinar at 3:30 p.m. EDT on Thursday, August 11.
Send questions to FTAResearch@dot.gov.
FAST Act Research Program Fact Sheet
FTA's Research and Innovation Program